PC Security Check & Optimization - The Complete PC Package
This is a common situation most people faced when you don't happen to be a pc geek. Somehow, computer geeks don't seem to have this problem. Now, you can protect and optimize your computer by following the simple steps below at a reasonably low cost:
PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE
1. It is always a good practice to partition your enhanced hard drive into at least two partitions - one for the windows system and your program files, and the other purely for your document and media preparation. Usually C: drive is your main system drive and D: is your data drive. If your drive is not partitioned into two partitions, you can use a software like the Paragon Rescue Kit to perform the partitioning.
2. After the partitioning has completed, create a folder called "Data" in the D: drive. Go to your windows desktop, right-click on the "My Documents" icon and left-click on "Properties". Under the "Target" tab, look for a box labelled "Target folder location". In the box next to the "Target" label, type in "D:\Data" and left-click [Apply] button followed by [OK] button. If prompted to proceed, select "Yes". You have just completed configuring your computer data folder to be at D:\Data directory.
3. First thing you do after you have set up your new or second hand computers is to install a antivirusprogramm and do a pc security check for viruses. You can use any one of the following recomended antivirusprogramm software:
4. The next thing to do after installing a antivirusprogramm software is to update the software immediately by downloading the latest virus data file and do a full pc security check for virus.
5. Following the installation of the antivirusprogramm, you should install a anti-adware, anti-spyware software. You can use any of the following recommended software to remove adware components found on your computer:
6. Similarly, do a full pc security check after you have downloaded the latest updates of the software to remove adware components or spyware found on your computer.
7. Installing a personal firewall is optional as the firewall would not be effective if you don't know how to configure it. If you are familiar with configuring personal firewall software, here are the recommended ones:
8. The final step in Prevention is to create an image backup of your hard drive, and the ideal recommended software to do the job simply and effectively is the Paragon Rescue Kit. Paragon Rescue Kit is an integrated software package of hard drive utilities to get access to files ( just like a pc unerase ) wherever they are, whatever unpleasant has happened to the computer hard disk and whenever you need them. No matter what operation system and file system you had used on the failed computer, just boot from Paragon Recovery CD and you will again see the file system with all your invaluable files. Then you can save the whole hard disk partitions or separate files to new, safer locations, or record them to CD/DVDs using the embedded recorder. In the event of a irrecoverable error, you can use the Paragon Recovery CD to recover the entire system from your backup system image.
OPTIMIZE REGULARLY FOR TOP PERFORMANCE
9. As you use your computer for a period of time, you may notice that your computer may seem to perform slower than when it was first bought with an enhanced disk drive and lots of computer media storage space. Assuming that your computer is well protected from viruses and spywares, the reason for the slower performance could be due to a unoptimized windows registry or a highly defragmented hard disk, as a result of your heavy use in document and media preparation work on your computer. Despite an enhanced disk drive and huge computer media storage space, the many files and folders can become quite fragmented in time. To keep your computer always running in its optimal state, three must-have softwares are recommended:
10. When using Executive Diskeeper, remember the following tips:
11. When using PC Doc Pro, remember the following tips:
12. When using SpeedUpYourPC, remember the following tips:
13. After optimizing your computer, it would be a good time to create another image of your optimized system using the Paragon Rescue Kit. Ideally, burn the image into a good computer media storage like CD or DVD so that you have a permanent restorable image on hand.
14. As you work with your computer doing document and media preparation type of work, you should make a conscious effort to save all your documents into D:\Data directory. This practice facilitates the next productive tool which you should have in your pc security check list - Automated Data Backup.
DAILY PROTECTION FOR THE FAMILY...
15. Generally, your home computer is used not only by yourself. Your children & spouse would most likely be using it as well. Certainly, you would want the best for your children and would want to protect them from the undesirable things like pornographic materials. Sometimes, you also wonder what your teenagers are doing with the computer on the Internet. Here are some recommended softwares for your family computer:
RECOVERY IN THE EVENT...
16. Generally, your computer should not give you any major problems after you have done the above steps. However, no one can ever predict a hard drive failure. Should such an unfortunate event happened, you would still be able to do recovery using one of the following ways:
17. You can actively monitor the life of your hard drive by using HDD Life Pro - a real-time hard drive monitoring utility with alerts, malfunction protection and data loss prevention functions. Get it if you really need it.
18. If you encounter unstoppable pop-ups, unchangeable dialers, stubborn IE start pages or search pages that you did not do yourself, then you may need the Browser Hijacker Recover (BHR) software to get rid of the stubborn spyware. Usually, this should have been taken care by the anti-spyware program but some spywares are not easily removed. The BHR is a designed for non-computer experts to remove such spywares.
19. MS Windows does not protect all the files that you delete in your using of your computer. As an added assurance, you may want to consider using UnDelete to fully protect your files in case of accidental deletion of important files. UnDelete is more than a file-recovery utility - it provides real-time data protection with instant recovery for your computer.
20. Finally, I wish your computer a long and productive service life for you and your family.
This article can be found at http://discovervalue.com/pc_security_check